The Goat Super Bowl Recipe: Beer Cheese Soup
Lager and American Beer Cheese Soup recipe.
Lager and American Beer Cheese Soup
Makes 3 ½ quarts or approximately 10, 12-oz. servings
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. fresh-minced garlic
2 lbs. chopped Russet potatoes
1 yellow onion, sliced
12 oz. (1 can or bottle) beer, light lager
3 cups water
1 quart half and half or whole milk
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 small pinch black pepper
1. Place a heavy bottomed, 6-quart sauce pan over medium high heat and add vegetable oil and garlic. Allow garlic to cook for 30 seconds or until lightly browned.
2. Add onions and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, or until onions have turned a light brown color.
3. Add potatoes and beer and bring to a boil. Allow beer to cook for 4-5 minutes or until the alcohol has cooked off.
4. Add water and half and half (or milk) and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes have cooked through.
5. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or upright blender. (Note: Use extreme caution if using an upright blender, and make sure that the steam will be vented at the lid of the unit as the soup is pureed. This can also be pureed in batches for safety).
6. Place the soup back on the stove at high heat. Bring back to a boil.
7. Place a separate small sauté or saucepan on the stove, and on medium heat, melt the butter. When melted, add the all-purpose flour and whisk with a wire whip to combine. Continue to cook on medium heat stirring often, for 2 minutes.
8. Add butter and flour mixture (called a roux) into the soup by whisking with a wire whip. Continue to whisk until soup has thickened. Reduce heat back down to a simmer and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
9. Add shredded American cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Serve immediately and garnish with crispy bacon and green onions.