The holiday season is a time to spend with family and friends, but it is also a time that many put aside their fitness goals and are a bit more stressed too. Use these tips to keep yourself healthy during the holiday season.
- Lightly Indulge Sometimes enjoying your favorite food is better for the mind, body, and soul than restricting yourself from it. Avoiding it at your special annual Thanksgiving or holiday dinner may cause unnecessary stress and anxiety, especially if it's a somewhat nostalgic dish for you. Shamelessly enjoy your treat by eating slowly and appreciating the taste of what you’re eating. Also, keeping your portions in moderation will help you to avoid the infamous food coma that comes with consumption of a high quantity of simple carbohydrates. You can also make healthier swaps for those not-so-special but still calorie saturated foods by choosing to use healthier ingredients.
- #Optoutside Opt Outside is a movement led by REI to encourage people to be active outdoors, avoiding the stress and hassle of shopping on Black Friday. Pick a local park, trail, or activity and invite friends to join you in adventuring. If you're someone who absolutely has to get to that one certain Black Friday sale, we encourage you to pick a store or two then spend some quality time decompressing outdoors. Be sure to include REI's hashtag #optoutside. More information can be found here.
- Drink water Often with all the delicious holiday beverages, it’s easy to forget about drinking some good ol’ H2O. Your body needs plenty of water to digest and function its best. Choose some fruit infused water over sugary holiday beverages, or if you’re a person who wants to enjoy a cocktail, glass of wine, or holiday beverage, be sure to pair each drink with a glass of water to keep you adequately hydrated.
- Exercise - Be sure to treat your body with care and keep up with your exercise throughout the holiday season. This will help to keep your body healthy, your mind clear, and still on track to achieve your goals. Having an accountability buddy, personal trainer, attending group fitness classes, or participating in a holiday fitness challenge are all great ways to make sure you stick to your regime. You can also follow @LC_omfitnessclub on Instagram for fitness motivation and tips, if you haven’t already.
- Stress less Stress decreases immune systems leaving you susceptible to sickness, uncontrollable food cravings, weight gain, lethargy, and a slew of other health related issues. The holiday season is one of the better seasons through the year, but also can be one of the most stressful. Use a combination of the above techniques to keep your stress levels in check.
Contact your local Om Fitness Club fitness specialist for the latest fitness challenge opportunities at your facility. We hope you have a wonderfully healthy and stress-less holiday season!